When Your Boyfriend Doesn’t Act Like a Boyfriend
If you have followed Katarina Phang you have probably heard her say “A boyfriend is as a boyfriend does.” Yet countless women continue to act like a girlfriend to a man who does not provide the actions of a boyfriend.
They remain loyal to a title and in the process self abandon. Not all proclaimed boyfriends are actually boyfriends. I can give countless real life examples.
I have experienced many times where I had the girlfriend title, but the actions where lacking.
When You Want More Time with Your Boyfriend
A common question I see in Katarina’s group is how can I get my boyfriend to spend more time with me, or call or text me more.
Many will say you need to talk to him. Share what you need to feel safe in the relationship. While I am all about getting our needs met, talks rarely work. The reason is if he wanted to be more in touch and spend time with you, he would, without you having to ask for it.
I had a boyfriend like this once. Probably the most fun boyfriend ever. We had a date every Saturday night and he called me about once a week. Dates were always fun, sex was great. He treated me great.
When we were together, life was grand.
Once a week.
The other 6 days a week I had no clue what he was doing. He did like to party.
This worked for about six months until I started wanting more. I talked to him and he made it clear that he wasn’t ready to give up his freedom. Yet he still called me his girlfriend though sometimes I was introduced as his “friend”.
I did not protest, I did not talk anymore, I started acting single on those other six days. I talked to other men while I was out. I went for drinks. I had fun.
Eventually I met a man who wanted more. Larry found out. He was hurt, he suddenly wanted to step it up, but it was too late. Took him 4 months to notice I was backing slowly away.
I believe a boyfriend would have noticed much sooner, hence be very cautious of using a label “boyfriend.” When his words and actions don’t line up and you feel much hesitation and distance in him, he’s a non-boyfriend and very likely he’s still talking to -or even sleep- with other women. You’re free to date others till a guy really claims you with both words and actions.
Staying Loyal out of Fear, Obligation and Guilt
Many would not do what I did above because they fear if the boyfriend found out, he would get angry and leave.
I could have held on to the status quo and been stuck on the dead end street for years. I could have just ended it, but at the time, he was the one I thought I wanted.
My gut told me that his lack of a full commitment was him keeping his options open. He later admitted this to me.
Many would say I cheated, but the reality was he was not really a boyfriend.
Many would fear a man’s reaction in a case like this.
They have a man that has the boyfriend title and they just keep talking, trying and pushing to get more hoping he will step it up.
They do the same thing and hope to get a different result.
I didn’t set out to meet someone else. I just kept my options open as well and it happened.
I mirrored his investment. That is really all I did. I had no agenda and I wasn’t looking for anything. Just living my life. Allowing life to happen as opposed to trying to control how it’s unfolding.
Larry was ready to forgive and start over, but months (close to a year) of him not acting like a boyfriend, finding someone who did act like a boyfriend who wanted to spend more time with me (with no effort on my part) changed my heart.
All really is fair in love and war.
When It Moves too Fast
When one commits to exclusivity or being boyfriend and girlfriend too fast, often a few months down the road, the boyfriend stops acting like a boyfriend. He gets distant. You begin to feel taken for granted.
In this case, you failed to pace. I have seen women agree to exclusivity in a week or a month (or a first date) only to discover later down the road that he wasn’t boyfriend material to start with.
Often they don’t see it this way. They are now invested without spending any time in the observation mode. It takes time to get to know a man and if he is actually worth your investment.
Women are scared to not accept such an offer for they fear if they don’t, he will leave. They might miss a good thing. They fear being alone.
Honey if he leaves he wasn’t the right man anyway.
You don’t know him or his behaviors this early, nor does he know yours.
More times than not a relationship that starts out with a bang, ends with a bang. Women that accept the girlfriend title quickly often are those that attach easily and attach hard. That however, is a different blog post.
Exclusivity with a Non Boyfriend
The agreement to become exclusive with a man as in not date or have sex with others doesn’t always mean he is committed.
I have been exclusive with men and it lasted around a year before it hit me like a ton of bricks that this was as far as it was going.
The signs are there if you are paying attention. A man can call you about everyday, take you out consistently and still have no intention of committing long term.
This was Larry above. It was also Mike. Mike was another exclusive boyfriend. He acted like a boyfriend with one exception that was very telling.
Although when we were together everything was great, I was excluded from his outside life.
It’s difficult to explain, but my gut told me that there was so much I didn’t know about him. It’s like he compartmentalized our relationship. When we were together, he was completely attentive.
Any family event he had, I was not invited. He didn’t share about his day or work life except for brief details. He bought a house and I didn’t see it until weeks after the paperwork was signed. That’s when I really knew.
It also dawned on me that he knew very little about me. He didn’t know I was raised by an unstable woman. He didn’t know anything about my family. In hindsight, perhaps I didn’t feel safe to share any of this part of my life with him either.
Deep conversations just never happened. A bit odd for a man I talked to every single day for a year.
I had devoted close to a year being exclusive with a man and what he was offering at that time was all he was ever going to offer.
It wasn’t going any further.
It wasn’t a bad relationship. It was stable. We got along well and rarely had any disagreements. Something was off though, I could feel it.
If you find yourself wanting more and it’s not moving forward even though you are exclusive, he may not really be your boyfriend at all.
There is a difference in long term dating and an actual relationship.
Know when to cut your loses and start dating others. Listen to the whispers of your gut, your intuition and tune out those thoughts of what it should be.
When a Boyfriend Isn’t a Boyfriend
A man invested into you, that cares about you wants to make you happy. He wants to spend time with you.
- He doesn’t go days and weeks without contact.
- He doesn’t flake on plans.
- He follows through
- He doesn’t live in your phone, but is present in your life
- He isn’t too busy at work to give you attention
- He doesn’t withdraw in his rough life patches
- He does what he says he will do
- He includes you in his life and world
If your boyfriend goes days with no contact, flakes, lives more in your phone than in your life, withdraws for long periods of time when he is busy with work or stress and doesn’t do what he says he will do or follow through (words not actions), he is just a man you are dating so adjust accordingly.
He isn’t full in. Adjust your sails. Live your life.
To continue to give all of your heart to a man who isn’t giving back is being the one down and giving your power away.
Take you power back.
Don’t wait around on hopes he will change or step up.
Get busy. Put the focus back on you and things that make you happy.
Know that you have options. You do have those you know.
Don’t be scared he will leave. Be easy to lose. If he leaves, he didn’t care that much. If he cares, he is going to step it up.
My favorite quote. I have a ring with this engraved. To thine own self be true.
Read More on Navigating Dating Below:
Do You Want To Know When To Speak Up and How to Communicate In A Way that He Can Listen to and Make Him Love You Even More?
Sign up for Katarina Phang’s Facebook Fan Subscriptions and you can listen to that 90 min class plus 4 other classes with total of 6.5 hours worth of listening and attend next weekly classes LIVE. This unlimited access to Katarina Phang’s Library of Discourses will surely increase your emotional intelligence in dating, relationship and dealing with men and life issues in general from the one and only Man Whisperer/the Last Resort. Only $99/month and you can cancel ANYTIME (but surely you won’t want to do it cause there is NO equivalence of dating or relationship programs out there with the same QUALITY, ILLUMINATION and AFFORDABILITY as this one).
Thanks to your enthusiastic and undying loyalty and support Facebook has picked Katarina’s page to have the privilege of Fan Subscriptions. This perk isn’t given to just any coach or page. Anyone has to meet certain stringent standards for that. Katarina was picked because she is leading the industry with her very educational and enlightening content that continues to gain tons of tractions and audience. And Facebook can’t find a better partner in crime than her in the niche to make people stay on their platform for as long as possible.
This is the answer to her dreams to reach 1 billion people with her healing message and when you support her work you not only support yourself -and get instant benefits out of her soothing classes which are cheaper and work way faster than any therapy- you also support humanity and a whole because her mission is to heal the planet, one woman at a time.
Here’s the list of classes you can listen to upon signing up (total 10.5 hours):
1. Attachment and How It Messes Up Everything, 60 mins
2. How Emotional Abuse Happens In Relationship and How to Stop It, 90 mins
3. When To Speak Up and How To Communicate In A Way that He Can Listen to and Make Him Love You Even More, 90 mins
4. Financial Sharing in Dating and Relationship, the Ideal and Reality of it, 60 mins
5. Trusting Yourself and Your Intuition, 80 mins
6. Abandonment, Fears, Anxiety and A Journey to True Inner Healing, 80 mins
7. What Is Cheating and How Cheating Happens and how to cheat-proof your relationship, 80 mins
8. Abandonment, Fears, Anxiety and A Journey to True Inner Healing part 2 with coach Dasha, 90 mins
And here are the upcoming classes:
9. Q&A with Katarina, July 10
10. Goddess Interview: Chiemeri, The Power of Thoughts, July 12
11. When Is Relationship Exclusive with Coach Tricia, July 19
12. How to Move On after a Breakup, even When You still Want Him Back, July 14
13. How to Lean Back and Be High Value Even When You Feel He’s Friend Zoning You, July 21
Do you want to learn more of this sacred knowledge that will bring you more understanding of men, love, relationship and in the process more peace of mind? There are a few options you can do (pick two or all of them):
2. Add yourself to one of my fabulous FB support groups: Katarina Phang’s High Value Goddess Community. My groups aren’t moderated and it’s what sets them apart, believe it or not! Transformation happens gradually or fast (depending on where you are in your journey) because you are forced to see your own reflection in every member that stirs a strong emotional reaction in you. The groups make you AWARE and AWAKE, that’s the entire purpose of my teachings. It can’t be done when you are being coddled in a fake environment of safety (you don’t get that in the real world out there either but you will learn to cope as a healthy and well-adjusted adult). Any wonder I’m the one coach with the most results out there? It’s thanks to this, among other things.
4. Subscribe to this blog on the upper right hand corner of this page.
5. Follow me on FB and like my page, so you will know when I have FREE classes with juicy content and teachings on FB live videos. I give away so much free content because I know the impact I have on humanity as a whole.
6. Subscribe to my youtube channel. I’ll eventually add all my free classes/videos there.
7. Sign up for my magnificent Feminine Magnetism Group Coaching consisting of 27 weeks (approximately 54 hours of learning), particularly Module 1 Journey Inward and Module 5 Salvation Through Relationship. You will accelerate your growth with this one-of-kind profound program not being offered anywhere else. Begin the journey toward equanimity and self-acceptance.
8. Come to my celestial home for the upcoming retreat. We’ll have at least twice a year/retreats. If you like to listen to my speeches, you’ll be even more blown-away to sit with me in my living room (the Zen room) overlooking the celestial infinity pool in an intimate setting while I’m delivering my teachings. You’ll come home with a new more empowered perspective on love, men, relationship and life in general. I can shift you energetically like no other and usher you to the gate of a new dimension of reality.
Please share this article if it resonates with you.
Want to learn more the ins and outs of inspiring the man you adore to commit to you THE MOST DEFINITE WAY? Here’s the most affordable way: by working with me face to face in a very relaxed, fun and intimate setting in my own home! And you will get some of the coaching programs I mention here as bonuses as well so you can start listening to them before coming to the weekend getaway. I promise you it’ll be one of the most worthwhile investments you’ll ever make in your life and you will leave knowing exactly how to be a high value woman. Your life will turn upside down for the better after the retreat if you practice all the skills I teach there.